Cattery Name Registration
The purpose of a cattery name is to identify the breeder and/or owner of a cat or kitten and to identify the line of breeding. A new cattery name will be registered for an initial five (5) year period, for a fee of $75.00.
The following rules apply to applying for a new name:
- Cattery names will not be duplicated. A newly registered cattery name must be at least a minimum of two letters different from any existing registered cattery name. Double letters (tt, ee, ss, etc.) count as one letter. The use or non-use of an “s” indicating plural at the end of a word does not constitute a letter difference. (You may search all current registered cattery names using the online Cattery Name Index below)
- A cattery name, including punctuation and blanks, may not exceed 12 spaces.
- An official CFA cattery name application form is required to apply. The form may be submitted online, or via PDF.
- A given name – Marie, John, Frank, Helen for example – cannot be used.
- Titles, such as Princess, Earl, or Madam may not be used.
- Award titles (see Section 4 – Titles) are not permitted.
- A cattery name may not be the name of a recognized breed.
- Words or names that have been used extensively in naming individual cats, such as “Ming” or “Pyewacket,” may not be used.
- Profanity is not permitted.
- A cattery name may not be registered in the possessive, with ’s at the end of the name.
- Cattery names will be registered and shown on all certificates in capital letters, no lower case.
- For cattery names issued on or after January 1, 1988: Once a cattery name is registered, a breeder(s) other than the original applicant(s) may be added to the registration upon submission of a new cattery application signed by ALL current registered owners of the cattery. Payment of the fee in effect for a cattery registration will apply. The registration period will extend for five years from the date of re-registration.
- For cattery names issued before January 1, 1988: A breeder(s) other than the original applicant(s) may be added to the registration upon submission of a letter signed by ALL current registered owners of the cattery. Payment of the fee in effect for a cattery
Cattery Name Index
The choosing and registering of a cattery name with the Cat Fanciers’ Association has sometimes proven to be rather challenging simply because of the large number of names, and similar names, that are already registered. Now, using this cattery name search tool to aid you, the entire name selection process has been simplified.
Using the links below, select the first letter of the cattery name you have chosen. An alphabetical list will be presented containing existing registered
cattery names that begin with the letter you selected. There is also an option to preview registered cattery names that begin with numbers (“#”).
When choosing a cattery name, first check the rules governing the acceptability of a cattery name. Once you have used this tool to verify that your chosen cattery name is indeed unique, you will want to verify that an additional three names are also available. The Cattery Name Application requires that four names be listed in the order of preference. When you submit the cattery name application, do NOT list a name that you do not want.
Note: CFA will not “reserve” a cattery name pending receipt of an application.