CFA Breeder Code of Ethics
As a breeder who uses the services of the world’s largest registry of pedigreed cats, I understand I have certain responsibilities to pedigreed cats and to the Cat Fanciers’ Association (CFA).
- I am aware that I am representative of CFA breeders in my community.
- I will breed my cats with the intent of improving the breed and to produce healthy, happy kittens.
- I will deal honestly with the purchasers of my kittens and cats.
- To the best of my knowledge and ability I will not, without prior disclosure, sell any kitten/cat that is sick or has been exposed to an infectious disease.
- I will not sell or place kittens prior to their attaining a proper level of immunity against common infectious diseases.
- I will place cats directly to the new pet owner or in a manner that will enable contact with the ultimate owner to provide on-going education and advice.
- I will strive to house my cats in a manner exceeding the CFA Minimum Cattery Standard.
- I will ensure my cats are kept in a healthy environment and I will ensure they receive the proper veterinary care as needed.
- I will maintain appropriate cattery records and will correctly register litters and cats.
- I will work honestly with my fellow breeders and provide timely and correct litter registration information to those who use my cats for breeding.
- I will mentor new breeders to ensure they have a solid information foundation.