Antifreeze Warning

Antifreeze can be deadly to pets!

The ASPCA and National Animal Poison Control Center have issued the following warning regarding antifreeze and your pet. Antifreeze has a sweet taste and can be attractive to pets. Ethylene glycol is the most dangerous and also the most common form of antifreeze.

AntifreezeUnfortunately, very small amounts can be lethal to pets. As little as one teaspoon of antifreeze can be deadly to a cat; less than four teaspoons can be dangerous to a 10-pound dog. The following are guidelines for pet owners to follow to avoid pet exposures to antifreeze:

Antifreeze Poisoning Prevention Tips

  • Clean up antifreeze spills immediately.

  • Check your car regularly for radiator leaks.

  • Always store antifreeze containers in areas that are inaccessible to your pets.

  • Never allow your pets to have access to the area when you are draining antifreeze from your car.

  • Propylene glycol is a less toxic form of antifreeze and should be used instead of ethylene glycol.

If you suspect your pet has ingested antifreeze, contact your veterinarian immediately! If you would like to receive free hotline information (consisting of a sticker, magnet, flyer, and pet care tips), call (217)-337-5030 ext #115 and leave a complete mailing address. For ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center consultation services contact 1-888-4ANI-HELP.

Please Note: CFA provides the feline health information on this site as a service to the public. Diagnosis and treatment of specific conditions should always be in consultation with one’s own veterinarian. The Cat Fanciers’ Association, Inc. disclaims all warranties and liability related to the veterinary advice and information provided on this site.