What Is a Protégé?
If you meet one or more of the following criteria, you are a potential protégé:
- Novice breeder
- Someone who has registered their first litter.
- Exhibitor ready to move into breeding.
- Someone who is “testing the waters” of the cat fancy.
- Someone who is getting ready to purchase their first pedigreed show or breeding cat.
- A breeder with a small to moderate amount of experience ready for a more in depth experience in the cat fancy.
Is that all?
In essence, yes, that is all. It does not hurt to also be someone who is:
- A member of a CFA club.
- An individual who has a sound moral and ethical basis.
- An individual is willing to learn and grow.
- An individual searching for guidance in making their choices in breeding as well as advances (and in advancing) in showing.
Must a newcomer or a novice to the cat fancy participate in the CFA Mentor Program?
No, participation in the program is optional and inclusive. The Mentor Program is not a mandatory activity for participation in the activities and programs of CFA, and it is open to anyone who wishes to participate.
What should a protégé expect from a mentor?
A protégé can expect sound advice, guidance and nurturing from a CFA mentor with years of experience in the cat fancy. Keep in mind that a mentor cannot make decisions for you, and all decisions to follow or not follow a mentor’s advice are yours alone to make.
What are the major benefits of participating in the CFA Mentor Program?
There are many, but the major benefits are to:
- Receive assistance in “learning the ropes” related to breeding and exhibiting.
- Receive assistance in developing the best practices related to initiating and developing a breeding program and exhibiting pedigreed cats.
- Gain access to the knowledge of experienced breeders and exhibitors.
- Have a direct connection with and support of one or more mentors.
- Develop opportunities for networking.
- Gain assistance in avoiding costly mistakes and in identifying showable cats.
- Receive assistance in learning how to manage a breeding program.
- Gain encouragement to continue to acquire information and education related to the breeding and care of the pedigreed cat.
- Appreciate the importance of diversity in the cat fancy.
Sign up as a Protégé of the CFA Mentor Program by completing the application.
Email your questions to email@example.com!