Individual Registration - Frequently Asked Questions
1. Where do I find the form to register my new cat with CFA?
An application for registration must come from the breeder. Contact the breeder and request the Application for Registration, commonly called a "blue slip".
Note: The breeder may opt to withhold the "blue slip" if your purchase agreement specifies that the cat must be neutered/spayed prior to receipt of registration paperwork. This is a fairly common practice for breeders of pedigreed cats. If this is the case, CFA will not be able to assist you in obtaining registration papers until the terms of your sales contract are completed. If you have provided proof of neutering/spaying to the breeder and are still unable to obtain registration papers, please see below.
In order for the Cat Fanciers' Association to provide registration for an individual cat when the standard application form has not been supplied by the breeder, the following documents must be provided along with a signed cover letter request to CFA:
A pedigree or other document, supplied by the breeder, establishing the cat's eligibility for CFA registration. The date of birth and parent's identifying CFA registration numbers and whether the cat was purchased with or without breeding rights.
Copy of the written sales agreement stating the conditions of the sale, signed by all parties. The agreement must indicate that CFA papers are to be provided. The date of birth and the parents' identifying CFA registration numbers must be included as well as whether the cat was purchased with or without breeding rights.
Copies of canceled checks/receipts showing full payment must be included.
Copies of other documents showing compliance/satisfaction of all other prerequisites to the release of the application form by the breeder.
All of the above items are required. Should any item/information be missing, Central Office will not be able to assist you.
Upon receipt of these items, we will contact the breeder and request their comments and/or cooperation in resolving this situation in a timely matter.
Please send the requested information to:
The Cat Fanciers' Association, Inc.
260 East Main Street
Alliance, OH 44601
2. I just bought a CFA registered cat. What do I need to do to transfer ownership?
To transfer ownership of a CFA registered cat to the name of a new owners(s), the transfer statement on the back of the cat's registration certificate needs to be completed and signed by the present registered owner(s) as shown on the front of the certificate. The transfer date should be the date the actual transfer takes place. This date will be the official transfer date on CFA's records.
Provide the name and mailing address of the new owner on the back of the certificate where indicated. Please mail the certificate to CFA with the transfer fee shown below. A new certificate will be issued with the new ownership.
Early Bird Transfer of Ownership/Supplemental Transfer - submitted within 30 days of Transfer Date - $12.00
Regular Transfer of Ownership/Supplemental Transfer - $17.00
3. I've lost the blue paper the breeder gave me to register my cat. Can I get another?
You will need to contact the breeder. The breeder can request a duplicate Application for Registration (commonly called a "blue slip", and it will be mailed to the breeder for them to forward on to you. Note: Duplicate "blue slips" will be mailed ONLY to the breeder of the litter.
To expedite the process, the breeder can order this duplicate "blue slip"
Note: The breeder will be asked for a credit card number merely to verify the order and mailing address. There is no fee for a duplicate "blue slip" and no charge will be made to the credit card.
4. I've lost my cat's registration papers. What can I do?
If you are the registered owner of a cat, you can purchase a duplicate Certificate of Registration for a $15.00 fee.
If you prefer to handle the transaction by regular mail - in order to locate a cat's records in our computer files without the CFA registration number and to issue a duplicate certificate, as much of the following information as possible is needed:
- Cat's Name
- Color of Cat
- Eye Color
- Date of Birth
- Sire Name
- Sire's CFA number
- Dam Name
- Dam's CFA number
- Breeder Name/Address
- Owner Name/Address
The fee will be $15.00. If available, please include a photocopy of the cancelled check used to originally register the cat.
5. The breeder won't give me registration papers for my new kitten. What do I do?
It is a fairly common practice for breeders of pedigreed cats to withhold registration papers until they receive proof that a purchased kitten has been neutered/spayed. If this is the case, CFA will not be able to assist you in obtaining registration papers until the terms of your sales contract are completed. If you have provided proof of neutering/spaying to the breeder and are still unable to obtain registration papers, please read on.
In order for the Cat Fanciers' Association to provide registration for an individual cat when the standard application form has not been supplied by the breeder, the following documents must be provided along with a signed cover letter:
- A pedigree or other document which is supplied by the breeder and establishes the cat's eligibility for CFA registration. The date of birth and parent's identifying CFA registration numbers must be included. Also, documentation whether the cat was purchased with or without breeding rights must be addressed.
- Copy of the written sales agreement stating the conditions of the sale, signed by all parties. The agreement must indicate that CFA papers are to be provided. The date of birth and the parents' identifying CFA registration numbers must be included and whether the cat was purchased with or without breeding rights.
- Copies of canceled checks/receipts showing full payment.
- Copies of other documents showing compliance/satisfaction of all other prerequisites to the release of the application form by the breeder.
- All of the above items are required. Should any item/information be missing, we will not be able to assist you.
Upon receipt of these items, we will contact the breeder and request their comments and/or cooperation in resolving this matter.
Please send the requested information to:
The Cat Fanciers' Association, Inc.
260 East Main Street
6. My cat was registered as "Not For Breeding", but I plan to breed her. Help!
Unless the PIN is written on the "blue slip" by the breeder, CFA's registration software will permit only "not for breeding" (NFB) registrations. In order for CFA to register a cat with breeding rights, the PIN must be written in the PIN box on the Application for Registration ("blue slip"). The PIN is a 5-digit computer generated random number, called a "Litter-PIN (personal identification number)" which will be printed only on the Certificate of Litter Registration provided to the breeder. Each litter registered will be assigned a different PIN valid only for that litter. CFA staff does not have access to the PIN. Only the breeder of the litter will know the PIN. If the cat has already been registered with CFA as a NFB cat, please contact the breeder to obtain the PIN. Write the PIN on the registration certificate and return it to CFA with a request to change the registration to a breeding cat. The fee for the correction is $10.00
7. How can I be sure that kittens I sell with a "blue slip" are registered as "Not for Breeding"?
Since 1981, The Cat Fanciers' Association has been the leader in providing NFB registrations . Our new procedure eliminates the possibility of clerical error, provides a greater safety for you and streamlines the registration process by removing the need for a signature. This improved process allows you to provide the blue slip to your purchaser with total confidence that the kitten will be registered as you intended.
Kitten registrations will be processed automatically as NFB unless YOU provide a "key" to unlock our software. The "key" is a 5-digit computer generated random number, called a "Litter-PIN (personal identification number)" which will be printed only on the Certificate of Litter Registration. Each litter you register will be assigned a different PIN valid only for that litter. Our staff will not have access to the PIN.
In order for kittens to be registered WITH breeding rights, you must provide the Litter-PIN to our staff by entering it on the individual registration application (blue slip), EVEN IF YOU, AS BREEDER, ARE THE REGISTERED OWNER OF THE CAT. Without the PIN, our software will permit only NFB registrations.
For Breeding=Insert Litter-PIN on blue slip
Not For Breeding =Omit Litter-PIN on blue slip
If you are concerned about someone guessing your PI N number, enter a large "X" in the PIN box. Our staff will not accept a PIN written over an "X".
8. Oops! I made a mistake when completing the registration certificate. Now what?
CFA does not allow the use of "white out" or erasures in Section C of a cat registration application (blue slip) or Sections 2 and/or 3 of a transfer of ownership application.
You will need to complete and send a Supplemental Transfer Form to CFA with your blue slip or registration certificate. The Supplemental Transfer Form can be found on our web site in a PDF format NEED TO GET FORM AND PUT ON FORM PAGE
Be sure to include your mailing address with your request.
9. How can I get a pedigree for my CFA registered cat?
A certified pedigree for any CFA registered cat can now be ordered online using a credit card.
If you wish, you may fax your order to us at 330-680-4633. If faxing, please specify the following information when ordering:
- Registered name and registration number of cat.
- Number of generations required.
- Your name and a mailing address for the pedigree
- A credit card number, and expiration date.
3 generations ..................... $25.00
4 generations ..................... $35.00
5 generations ..................... $50.00
6 generations ..................... $75.00
Additional charge for shipping pedigrees unfolded ... $3.00
10. I need my new kitten registered quickly so I can enter a show. Can you do this?
Expedited Service (twenty-four hour) has been established in order to accommodate those persons in urgent need of an individual cat registration number for showing or breeding purposes. The $25.00 fee covers up to two (2) transactions (such as a litter and one cat or two cats). Three (3)-to-four (4) transactions are an additional $10. Each additional transaction is an additional $5. Same day expedited service, received after 2 pm. is $50. Prior to submitting the paperwork to CFA, the applicant should contact this office regarding any additional fees needed for more than two transactions or for any other type of service (transfer, correction, etc.).
Please note that Expedited Service does not include any additional services that might be requested at the same time (such as certified pedigrees) and does not guarantee that certificates will be mailed to the applicant within 24 hours of receipt of the application. Normal mailing procedures (1st class or airmail outside the U. S.) of all completed documents will be followed unless the applicant also pays any additional fee needed for Express or Courier service mailing, which is not covered by the $25.00 Expedited Service fee.
An email address or telephone number is required in order for CFA to supply the needed registration number to the applicant within the promised 24-hour period. It is important that clear and easy-to-read email addresses be included on the application in the space provided. A registration number email that is returned to us undelivered due to an incorrect or misread email address cannot be re-sent.
TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF EXPEDITED SERVICE
- Send the application to CFA by email (as an attachment), fax, or overnight service (the applicant pays the post office, FedEx, etc. for any shipping costs). CFA cannot guarantee that Expedited Service applications submitted by regular mail or airmail will be opened and processed immediately.
- Submit the application to CFA per the above instructions along with a note specifically requesting Expedited Service.
- Be sure to Include any required fee for normal processing of the application PLUS the Expedited Service fee ($25.00 for the first two items). CFA accepts all major credit cards as well as personal checks and money orders.
- Provide an email address or telephone number so that we can contact you with the cat number within 24 hours of receipt of the application.
11. How do I transfer ownership of cats whose owner has died?
In the case of transfer of ownership of cats belonging to a deceased person, CFA can complete a service at the signed request of the person handling the estate upon receipt of proof of authority to sign and/or proof of death, which can include:
- A copy of the death certificate.
- Public notice of death (newspaper).
- A copy of the will detailing cat ownership and executor
12. I've recently changed my name and need to update my cat's ownership.
If your name is changing due to marriage or divorce, it is helpful if you can provide us with the cat(s) registration numbers so we can change your name. There is no charge to change our computer records but if you want a new certificate the fee is $10 per corrected certificate.
13. I don't like my cat's registered name. Can I change it?
The name of a registered cat can be changed or shortened if ALL of the following conditions are met:
- The cat has never earned a title (e.g. CH, GRP, DM) or received a National/Regional award; and
- No national/regional points have been earned in the current show season; and
- No litters have been CFA registered listing the cat as a parent; and
- You are the current registered owner of the cat. If the cat was previously individually registered in the breeder's name, you must provide CFA with a signed statement of agreement from the breeder allowing the name change. If you have recently purchased the cat and have not yet transferred the cat into your name, it is recommended you obtain a letter of agreement and submit it in conjunction with the transfer application.
Early Bird Transfer of Ownership/Supplemental Transfer - submitted within thirty (30) days of Transfer Date - $12.00
Regular Transfer of Ownership/Supplemental Transfer - $17.00
Cattery Name Suffix Addition/Deletion-$10.00
The cat's registration certificate should be returned to CFA along with your letter detailing the change desired.
14. How do I correct the color or sex of my CFA registered cat?
To make a correction to a cat's sex or color, please return the incorrect registration certificate, notating on the certificate the new sex or color. The fee for this service is $10.00. A corrected certificate will be issued to you. Be sure to include your current mailing address so the corrected certificate can be mailed to you.
15. How do I correct a wrong sire, dam or birthdate on my cat's registration papers?
To make a correction to the registered sire, dam or birthdate of a litter, the breeder of the litter should submit the following:
- The incorrect litter certificate issued by CFA and any unused blue and/or yellow slips.
- A new litter form completed and signed with the correct information.
- A $10.00 correction fee.
If any cats have already been individually registered from the litter and new certificates are needed, the incorrect certificates can also be returned. The $10.00 correction fee applies for each, individual certificate corrected. However, once the litter record has been officially corrected (and the correction fee paid), these individual certificates can be corrected for your records only at no charge.